Friday, July 15, 2011

Sad and Soothing

This song has been a regular feature on my everything playlist for the past few weeks. I've been listening to a lot of CocoRosie lately, partially just trying to figure out whether or not CocoRosie and Hercules and Love Affair need to release a joint album or not. I've decided that there might almost be too much overlap. But since I'm such a fan of layering with clothing, maybe that would be glorious - much like wearing a muumuu over sweatpants.

Anyways, when I listened to this song the first 100 times I remained under the impression that it was an uplifting-y ode to love and commitment. Then I listened to alll the lyrics and not just the cool high-pitched ones and realized it was about domestic violence. Le Yikes. This actually doesn't take away from how much I enjoy this track though. On the contrary, it makes it a hell of a lot more resonant. It might be a lot harder to listen to were I at all familiar with domestic violence personally. Thankfully, I am not. My domestic partners are nothing if not the most loving. In fact, the lyrics:

I'll wear your black eyes
I'll bake you apple pies,

I take as referring to Kelsey's fondness for dark eye makeup and willingness to apply it on me, as well as her violent affinity for apple pies and mine with baking them.

No comments:

Post a Comment